Sun, May 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM By: Benicus

Chat about Nicki's sophomore album, Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded

Replies to this posting

1. AN avatar

Re: References in Stupid Hoe

Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 3:47 PM By: AN

RomansBestie wrote:
    I'm sorry. But seriously?
    this is easily the most orignal video i've seen in a long time.
    the 'references' are quite weak; i took preicous minutes of life to google them, and nicki 'looks like an alien; much like katy perry's ET video".
    people just like to compare others, and honestly nobody can wear a wig of any shape or form without being referenced to gaga. any out of the ordinary actions are somehow already been done by gaga.
    nicki created an original concept for her video. any 'references' visually are coincidence.
    what you need to know about nicki, since you are obviously uninformed, is that she is a very different person, who put out a very different video, which was hers and did not rip off any other videos. if you see a similarity, it truly is coincidence.
    ~RomansBestie~

LOL.

Wow. Just wow.

I love how no one here seems to understand what I'm saying. I never said she "ripped off" anyone else or that she was unoriginal. It's not a crime to reference anyone in a piece of work. I was simply wondering which artists she may have been inspired by, because this happens quite a lot, many times out of respect for other artists. The Katy Perry reference was possibly her lollipop scene, the Shakira reference is so obvious and in-your-face that to say it's NOT a reference is to admit you actually haven't actually seen any of Shakira's videos. The same goes for GaGa - it's the big eye thing, not wigs, which you'd have known if you'd seen GaGa's Bad Romance video.

So, if you haven't seen the music videos of the aforementioned artists while deciding to upright deny that there are any similarities, then there's no reason for you to call me uninformed and leave it at that.

Contrary to what you might think, I'm not saying she stole ideas from anyone. I could go on about how much of an opinion I don't have about this video, regardless of its originality, because I'm really just interested in how pop icons interact. Everything in pop is built upon something else - that's what it's all about. Whether it's done tastefully, loudly, to pay homage, or to mock is entirely up to the artist.

I won't ask you about any of that, however, since it looks like all you're going to tell me is that I clearly don't know anything about the spectacular Ms. Minaj and that anything I've seen is just something I've dreamed up. I suppose it's too much to ask for a simple, non-defensive response. I'm sorry to have wasted precious minutes of your life by making you google something.

Another viewing of Stupid Hoe to recuperate, perhaps?

2. AustraliaLovesNicki avatar

Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:20 PM By: AustraliaLovesNicki

AN wrote:
    RomansBestie wrote:
    the 'references' are quite weak; i took preicous minutes of life to google them, and nicki 'looks like an alien; much like katy perry's ET video".
    people just like to compare others, and honestly nobody can wear a wig of any shape or form without being referenced to gaga. any out of the ordinary actions are somehow already been done by gaga.
    nicki created an original concept for her video. any 'references' visually are coincidence.
    what you need to know about nicki, since you are obviously uninformed, is that she is a very different person, who put out a very different video, which was hers and did not rip off any other videos. if you see a similarity, it truly is coincidence.
    ~RomansBestie~

LOL.

Wow. Just wow.

I love how no one here seems to understand what I'm saying. I never said she "ripped off" anyone else or that she was unoriginal. It's not a crime to reference anyone in a piece of work. I was simply wondering which artists she may have been inspired by, because this happens quite a lot, many times out of respect for other artists. The Katy Perry reference was possibly her lollipop scene, the Shakira reference is so obvious and in-your-face that to say it's NOT a reference is to admit you actually haven't actually seen any of Shakira's videos. The same goes for GaGa - it's the big eye thing, not wigs, which you'd have known if you'd seen GaGa's Bad Romance video.

So, if you haven't seen the music videos of the aforementioned artists while deciding to upright deny that there are any similarities, then there's no reason for you to call me uninformed and leave it at that.

Contrary to what you might think, I'm not saying she stole ideas from anyone. I could go on about how much of an opinion I don't have about this video, regardless of its originality, because I'm really just interested in how pop icons interact. Everything in pop is built upon something else - that's what it's all about. Whether it's done tastefully, loudly, to pay homage, or to mock is entirely up to the artist.

I won't ask you about any of that, however, since it looks like all you're going to tell me is that I clearly don't know anything about the spectacular Ms. Minaj and that anything I've seen is just something I've dreamed up. I suppose it's too much to ask for a simple, non-defensive response. I'm sorry to have wasted precious minutes of your life by making you google something.

I don't know about the other ones but when people says she stole the cage thing from Shakira it really pisses me off... Shakira wasn't the first person to dance in a cage and won't be the last. Also Gaga wasn't the first to use big eyes...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes I did, Yes I did, Somebody please tell em who the F I is!

3. KenBark avatar

RE: References in Stupid Hoe

Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM By: KenBark

ok ummmmm.... she didn't get her eyes from gaga she got them from BARBIE. that whole scene she was acting as a doll. please tell me where the hell u got shakira? everything in that video Nicki has done before (besides the yoga part) it was all just extremely exaggerated. I totally understand what your saying but that video doesnt have anything to do with any of those KIND of artist. Nicki isn't as "POP" as the world thinks she is, she's still predominantly HIP HOP. N tha hip hop world those type of videos are unheard of. That video has ONE REFERENCE....LIL KIM. And its only purpose is to make a mockery out of her.

And to get 11 MILLION VIEWS in 5 days.LOL
    --->>>www.reverbnation.com/knarlzbark

--->>>"FxK LiL B.......gOT dAT #SHiTTYSWAGG!"

4. AN avatar

Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM By: AN

AustraliaLovesNicki wrote:

I don't know about the other ones but when people says she stole the cage thing from Shakira it really pisses me off... Shakira wasn't the first person to dance in a cage and won't be the last. Also Gaga wasn't the first to use big eyes...

Yeah, I agree that they weren't the first. They also draw from other people. I think it's easy to compare Nicki with the artists I mentioned because their work is relatively recent. People seem to get really worked up about it, but many don't realize that there's a difference between blatantly ripping off someone else's work and simply referencing them. I was hoping the term 'reference' wouldn't incite defensive attitudes in the members here, but it's not a big deal. I actually like seeing that artists are aware of one another. I mean, I thought it was funny that she transformed herself from a leopard into a blonde cage dancer. Even if Shakira wasn't the first to think of dancing in a cage, that was surely meant to represent her, even in the lightest of senses. Anyway, I guess I'll just wait to see if anyone else on the interwebs writes about it.

And regarding Lady GaGa, I personally don't really think she was the first to do much of anything... except wear a meat dress. :P

5. KenBark avatar

Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:41 PM By: KenBark

AustraliaLovesNicki wrote:
    AN wrote:
    RomansBestie wrote:
    ~RomansBestie~

LOL.

Wow. Just wow.

yea I figured dat shakira shit wuz tha cage. ppl are smallminded. dat part of the video wuz directed at kim...that's y it wuz the las shot n tha video. SHE SAYING "IM IN THE CAGE NOW BITCH....JUS WAIT" LOL. That video has such a deeper meaning. She's calling everyone that thinks she's falling off stupid. Song and video were a publicity stunt.....NOW EVERYONES WATCHIN.

6. AN avatar

Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:46 PM By: AN

kEN, bARk! wrote:
    ok ummmmm.... she didn't get her eyes from gaga she got them from BARBIE. that whole scene she was acting as a doll. please tell me where the hell u got shakira? everything in that video Nicki has done before (besides the yoga part) it was all just extremely exaggerated. I totally understand what your saying but that video doesnt have anything to do with any of those KIND of artist. Nicki isn't as "POP" as the world thinks she is, she's still predominantly HIP HOP. N tha hip hop world those type of videos are unheard of. That video has ONE REFERENCE....LIL KIM. And its only purpose is to make a mockery out of her.

And to get 11 MILLION VIEWS in 5 days.LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=booKP974B0k&ob=av2e

^This.

Yeah, it's a diss song and all that. There are so many ways I think she can still be connecting with the other artists, even in regards to what she's saying to/about Lil Kim, but I am not going to bother going through them anymore, lol. We all have our own opinions, and I think this conversation might be better situated elsewhere.

7. AN avatar

Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:48 PM By: AN

kEN, bARk! wrote:

yea I figured dat shakira shit wuz tha cage. ppl are smallminded. dat part of the video wuz directed at kim...that's y it wuz the las shot n tha video. SHE SAYING "IM IN THE CAGE NOW BITCH....JUS WAIT" LOL. That video has such a deeper meaning. She's calling everyone that thinks she's falling off stupid. Song and video were a publicity stunt.....NOW EVERYONES WATCHIN.

If that's true, then it definitely worked, lol.

8. AustraliaLovesNicki avatar

Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 6:22 PM By: AustraliaLovesNicki

AN wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=booKP974B0k&ob=av2e

^This.

Yeah, it's a diss song and all that. There are so many ways I think she can still be connecting with the other artists, even in regards to what she's saying to/about Lil Kim, but I am not going to bother going through them anymore, lol. We all have our own opinions, and I think this conversation might be better situated elsewhere.

Wow Shakira can move! But that cage is so different though, it's a golden cage which has a completely different meaning to any other colored cage lol. I've seen the word golden cage been thrown around a lot but I just can't find a proper meaning for it, I'd like to think it was targeted to the people who make it seems like they have everything when they are really just boxed in by societies standards.

I just don't think Nicki would indirectly copy another artists video, if she was going to do it she would do it to pay tribute or show how much she loves them and it wouldn't be as subtle. Also I don't see why people are blaming Nicki at all! It was the director who made the video, Nicki probably had little to do with the creativity of the director.

9. mark_barbee avatar

Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 6:45 AM By: mark_barbee

kEN, bARk! wrote:
    that video had nothing to do with anyone u jus named

10. ChloeWannaMinaj avatar

Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 6:46 AM By: ChloeWannaMinaj

Dude seriously now? I actually heard on youtube that there was Katy Perry, Shakira, Rihanna (???) and Lady Gaga..Nicki may have had 'aspects' of their videos but she did it in such an original, adorable way
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    STOP! Now make that muthfucker hammer time....

11. mau avatar

Re: STUPID HOE IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE TRACKS SO FAR

Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 9:54 AM By: mau

I looove Stupid Hoe

I don't understand why everyone hate the song :(

12. KenBark avatar

RE: References in Stupid Hoe

Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM By: KenBark

this thread is dead....we killed this yesterday

13. talentedbarbie2 avatar

TURN ME ON TEASER : )

Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM By: talentedbarbie2

How do you feeel about the video after you seen the teaser?
    iLove Nicki Minaj
    -Kayla Boo

14. Onikamaraj4lyfe avatar

RE: NEW ALBUM DATE!!!!

Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:08 PM By: Onikamaraj4lyfe

As long as pfrr is comming out than i fine
    ooHuC0Rr4PAET913SQ0fuIZH6jU

15. 971SticketyBarb avatar

RE: Stupid Hoe

Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM By: 971SticketyBarb

For me she did better songs but this song is still amazing I love the lyrics and the beat.

16. MT5792 avatar

Turn Me On Music Video!!!

Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM By: MT5792

Ok I have to say the song and video are both AHH... wait for it... MAZING!!!! I honestly thought it was perfect!!!! and a nice boost from Nickis Stupid Hoe video AND Nickis video with Madonna and MIA is gonna come out Thursday PLUS!!! Nicki is gonna perform WITH Madonna at the superbowl!! AND LEST WE FORGET Nicki is gonna attend the Grammys and considering her competition shes gonna win at least 1... maybe 2... so all in all everything seems to be doing well for Nicki. *sigh* gotta love that woman!!

17. MT5792 avatar

Re: NEW ALBUM DATE!!!!

Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:36 PM By: MT5792

MT5792 wrote:
    How do u guys feel about Nicki pushing the date to April 3?? Im gonna be completely honest and say I was absolutely heartbroken but I can see that Nicki has some things to work out and I can wait. I bet shes gonna bring back some of her old flow and up her lyrical game plus she said she was gonna have sum surprises! but how do guys feel about this?!?

Plus I also thought the fact that Nicki would attend the Grammys (and we all know shes gonna win at least 1 of em) thought it wouldve been great exposure for her album for a much broader audience!! or is that just me?!?!?!

18. _AlexMinaj avatar

RE: Stupid Hoe

Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:36 PM By: _AlexMinaj

Yea i love Nic and her music but herd better. i like the song tho dont get me wrong.
    ROMAN RELOADED

19. MichaelMaraj avatar

RE: NEW ALBUM DATE!!!!

Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:39 PM By: MichaelMaraj

It'll just make the album even better since she'll have more time. I'm glad she chose to push it back because in the long run, we'll be happier . :)

20. Kevin Zolanski avatar

RE: Turn Me On Music Video!!!

Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM By: Kevin Zolanski

other then the fact that this video is finally here, david's dope, and nicki's fabulous, this video kind of dissapointed me. the mv did not have has much energy as the song. i love the concept and everything but, i could of been better, or crazier. i still like stupid hoe better. actually, i like the song better.

as i was watching, i was hoping the robot (w/ the white lips) that the 'doctor' was working on was nicki. and if it was her, it should of shown the whole transformation (bits&parts >>> nicki). and nicki entering through the gates was a bit weak and basically all of her emotions. especially her rap part, man, i thought something was funna happen. lol.

but overall: bootyful n sessy!!! hearts.
    "Holy shit, I'm perfect!"

Newsletter Signup