VenusAsABoy avatar

SHOULD NICKI LEAVE YMCMB?!

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:52 PM By: VenusAsABoy

given all the issues we as fans have witnessed and experienced with YMCMB handling nicki's singles and tour, should she move to another label in the future?

share your thoughts. :D

hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

"i show these bitches how to do it."

Replies to this posting

1. WhoaLando avatar

RE: SHOULD NICKI LEAVE YMCMB?!

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:18 PM By: WhoaLando

If they manage to fuck up Fly, then she should definitely get ready to move on.

2. mikethamonsta avatar

Re: SHOULD NICKI LEAVE YMCMB?!

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:18 PM By: mikethamonsta

VenusAsABoy wrote:
    given all the issues we as fans have witnessed and experienced with YMCMB handling nicki's singles and tour, should she move to another label in the future?

hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

Whose funding the tour out of curiosity? UMG, LiveNation, etc? Her management has a big say over touring also right? I believe that's why Drake got his own tour because it was venue sponsored, which means his management did the bookings. Nicki did say she wanted to do a college tour, so her management may still have this in the works. IDK.

Nicki has become her own brand, but she is a part of a bigger brand which is YMCMB. I don't think she should just go out and be a free agent, and I can't think of any other group out there she would blend with. Maybe let her build her own star power then use that as leverage to do some renegotiating (basically how Wayne did when he threatened to leave Birdman for The Roc). Maybe well see a Pink Friday Records under the YMCMB umbrella who can handle actual promo. It's a stretch but an option. I just feel deep down inside she'll get some backlash for abandoning her team.

3. Nadja. avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:18 PM By: Nadja.

chi is right tho cuz right thru me did get pop adds.
    it just wasn't a hit there.

listening to it with the rest of the album, i'm not even sure if i think it should have been a single in the first place.

4. VenusAsABoy avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:19 PM By: VenusAsABoy

iPotora wrote:
    I know nothing about record labels and screw ups except Massive Attack's release. What else did they mess up?

they release her singles [before the album release] to itunes TOO soon.
    they're not sending her singles to all the formats they NEED to be sent to.
    and they didn't give her her OWN tour.
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

5. VenusAsABoy avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM By: VenusAsABoy

Nadja. wrote:
    i'd really like to see how they handle nicki, wayne, drake, tyga, etc having albums/singles out at the same time..

i don't EVEN wanna think about it.
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

6. TeamMinajCanada avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:21 PM By: TeamMinajCanada

Chi-Town_Kidd wrote:

"Moment 4 Life" isn't getting pop adds just like Wayne's "6'7" isn't. Wayne put YM together, if he's not getting pop adds neither is Nicki. & it could be since RTM didn't do much on pop. Wayne's "Right Above It" was SCREAMING for pop adds as it went Top 50 & still didn't get them.

We need to stop comparing Nicki to Wayne and Drake, first of all. They are not the same person and will obviously not perform the same on charts. Whether or not Wayne's music is getting adds or not, we're here for NICKI MINAJ. That's what I care about.

7. MinajCrazy avatar

RE: SHOULD NICKI LEAVE YMCMB?!

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:22 PM By: MinajCrazy

Hopefully they can do right by the next singles. I really wanted M4L to reach top 10 in the Hot 100. but i truly dont see it happening

8. VenusAsABoy avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM By: VenusAsABoy

Nadja. wrote:
    chi is right tho cuz right thru me did get pop adds.
    it just wasn't a hit there.

listening to it with the rest of the album, i'm not even sure if i think it should have been a single in the first place.

but 'moment 4 life' CLEARLY >>>>> 'right thru me' in terms of pop radio—
    they're just playing fucking GAMES now.
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

9. TeamMinajCanada avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:24 PM By: TeamMinajCanada

Briionnaa wrote:
    Hey guys!! I think Nick is a smaert girl and as of right now this maybe the best place for her. With YM she has a family situation, a secure situation,and. Here she has the most freedom creativity wise, YM is at the their peak right now, now would not be a good time to leave, maybe when YM starts to get too money hungry and start really exploiting her then she'll leave (which they seem to be stiring the pot lately) I think she has weighted the options and knows that this is her home for now but when YM starts to hurt more thn helps she'll leave
    Signed a Nicki Minaj Fan!

Do you think that if Nicki were to leave, she wouldn't get that same freedom at another label? We're in 2011, not 2009.

10. VenusAsABoy avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:25 PM By: VenusAsABoy

mikethamonsta wrote:
    VenusAsABoy wrote:

hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

Whose funding the tour out of curiosity? UMG, LiveNation, etc? Her management has a big say over touring also right? I believe that's why Drake got his own tour because it was venue sponsored, which means his management did the bookings. Nicki did say she wanted to do a college tour, so her management may still have this in the works. IDK.

Nicki has become her own brand, but she is a part of a bigger brand which is YMCMB. I don't think she should just go out and be a free agent, and I can't think of any other group out there she would blend with. Maybe let her build her own star power then use that as leverage to do some renegotiating (basically how Wayne did when he threatened to leave Birdman for The Roc). Maybe well see a Pink Friday Records under the YMCMB umbrella who can handle actual promo. It's a stretch but an option. I just feel deep down inside she'll get some backlash for abandoning her team.

live nation is funding the i am music tour.

but i can agree with you, for the most part—
    i don't think she should pack up and leave NOW, but she's got to do something SOON.
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

11. iPotora avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:25 PM By: iPotora

Does anyone know how Drake did on tour? Gross? Percentage of tickets sold for each show? Was he sold out every night?

If Drake's tour wasn't as successful as they'd thought it would be, I doubt they'd give Nicki her own tour. I hate to say it, but I still they have the "female rapper" fear in the back of their minds.

12. VenusAsABoy avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:25 PM By: VenusAsABoy

MinajCrazy wrote:
    Hopefully they can do right by the next singles. I really wanted M4L to reach top 10 in the Hot 100. but i truly dont see it happening

and it won't happen if they don't send it to every format.
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

13. VenusAsABoy avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM By: VenusAsABoy

TeamMinajCanada wrote:
    Chi-Town_Kidd wrote:

"Moment 4 Life" isn't getting pop adds just like Wayne's "6'7" isn't. Wayne put YM together, if he's not getting pop adds neither is Nicki. & it could be since RTM didn't do much on pop. Wayne's "Right Above It" was SCREAMING for pop adds as it went Top 50 & still didn't get them.

We need to stop comparing Nicki to Wayne and Drake, first of all. They are not the same person and will obviously not perform the same on charts. Whether or not Wayne's music is getting adds or not, we're here for NICKI MINAJ. That's what I care about.

hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

14. HerMinajesty avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM By: HerMinajesty

TeamMinajCanada wrote:
    Chi-Town_Kidd wrote:

Yaaaassss!

15. VenusAsABoy avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM By: VenusAsABoy

iPotora wrote:
    Does anyone know how Drake did on tour? Gross? Percentage of tickets sold for each show? Was he sold out every night?

If Drake's tour wasn't as successful as they'd thought it would be, I doubt they'd give Nicki her own tour. I hate to say it, but I still they have the "female rapper" fear in the back of their minds.

that's the thing, though—
    we can't keep COMPARING drake to nicki, because they're two different artists.

nicki's fanbase >>>>>>>>>>>>> drake's by a LONG shot, so selling tickets shouldn't be a problem.

and there's no reason why any of the powers that be should have doubts about nicki's capacity to SELL. ANYTHING.
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

16. iPotora avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:29 PM By: iPotora

Actually, do they even make money off of Nicki when she goes on tour? Cause I know she has a 360 contract, so...

17. TeamMinajCanada avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:30 PM By: TeamMinajCanada

Say Nicki were to leave YMCMB, what would be the consequences?

18. iPotora avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:31 PM By: iPotora

VenusAsABoy wrote:
    iPotora wrote:

that's the thing, though?
    we can't keep COMPARING drake to nicki, because they're two different artists.

nicki's fanbase >>>>>>>>>>>>> drake's by a LONG shot, so selling tickets shouldn't be a problem.

and there's no reason why any of the powers that be should have doubts about nicki's capacity to SELL. ANYTHING.
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

Ha. Really??? I didn't know her fanbase was bigger.

19. iPotora avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM By: iPotora

TeamMinajCanada wrote:

All I can think of is the ignorant public looking down on it.

20. VenusAsABoy avatar

Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM By: VenusAsABoy

TeamMinajCanada wrote:

she could face some kind of backlash, but i believe the split would be amicable, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

Newsletter Signup