VenusAsABoy avatar

the holy harajuku CANON.

Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:18 PM By: VenusAsABoy

canon: a list of literary or artistic works considered to be permanently established as being of the highest quality

let's put our heads together and develop an ultimate list of the ABSOLUTE BEST nicki minaj songs--
everybody's opinion will be taken into consideration.

be sure to make a GOOD case for the songs you submit.

OFFICIAL CANON:
"Autobiography"
"Can Anybody Hear Me?"
"Catch Me"
"Dear Old Nicki"
"Encore"
"Fly"
"Here I Am"
"I'm The Best"
"Massive Attack"
"Monster"
"New York Minute"
"Roman's Revenge"
"Still I Rise"
"Sweetest Girl"
"Warning"
"40 Bars"

hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

"i show these bitches how to do it."

Replies to this posting

1. GLO The Ghost avatar

RE: the holy harajuku CANON.

Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:19 AM By: GLO The Ghost

2 Sticks in My Bun, I get crazy, massive attack, and the sweet dreams remix if that even counts! :D lol Don't judge me ;)
    GIFSoup

"I just swerve on em' sorta like I missed dat deer" ~Nicki Minaj

2. iPotora avatar

Re: the holy harajuku CANON.

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 5:34 PM By: iPotora

Idk if this has been argued, but maybe "Warning" should be in the list. A lot of males I know who got into Nicki during her mix tape days...that was the song they said turned them onto her. I do believe I even heard a few hip hop experts give props to her cover. I think "Warning" is to her mixtape days what "Monster" is to her mainstream days...perhaps?

3. VenusAsABoy avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM By: VenusAsABoy

GLO The Ghost wrote:
    2 Sticks in My Bun, I get crazy, massive attack, and the sweet dreams remix if that even counts! :D lol Don't judge me ;)
    GIFSoup

i can see 'massive attack'--
    the others...
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

4. VenusAsABoy avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 5:46 PM By: VenusAsABoy

iPotora wrote:
    Idk if this has been argued, but maybe "Warning" should be in the list. A lot of males I know who got into Nicki during her mix tape days...that was the song they said turned them onto her. I do believe I even heard a few hip hop experts give props to her cover. I think "Warning" is to her mixtape days what "Monster" is to her mainstream days...perhaps?

hmmmm.
    you make a good case.

(strokes chin)
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

5. 7heSAiNT avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 5:49 PM By: 7heSAiNT

VenusAsABoy wrote:
    GLO The Ghost wrote:
    GIFSoup

the others...
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

Agreed, however.

I think we're forgetting that Nicki has progressed slowly into a fusion of rapper/pop artist. While it might not be lyrically anything to write home about, I will vouch for I Get Crazy as the way I see it, it was the first REAL push in the pop direction that she had. In that sense I think it's important.

6. vee avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 5:53 PM By: vee

i believe sweetest girl and autobiograpghy and new york minute

7. VenusAsABoy avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 6:03 PM By: VenusAsABoy

7heSAiNT wrote:
    VenusAsABoy wrote:
    GLO The Ghost wrote:
    GIFSoup

the others...
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

Agreed, however.

I think we're forgetting that Nicki has progressed slowly into a fusion of rapper/pop artist. While it might not be lyrically anything to write home about, I will vouch for I Get Crazy as the way I see it, it was the first REAL push in the pop direction that she had. In that sense I think it's important.

SAINT!
    hi! :D

you really think it's one of her BEST works though?

i mean—
    we want as close to perfection as we can GET in the canon, and IGC was a big song for her, but quality wise?
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

8. 7heSAiNT avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 6:06 PM By: 7heSAiNT

VenusAsABoy wrote:
    7heSAiNT wrote:
    VenusAsABoy wrote:
    GLO The Ghost wrote:
    GIFSoup

the others...
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

Agreed, however.

SAINT!

i mean?
    we want as close to perfection as we can GET in the canon, and IGC was a big song for her, but quality wise?
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

Well, I think CANON should encompass songs that did alot for her career aswell (ex. Monster). It might not be top notch lyrically or even production wise, but I think it carries a huge significance for her in the BIG picture. IGC was the first time ALOT of us even heard her get played on a radio, I think it marked the moment she turned from mixtape rapper to someone a little more commercially viable.

9. Ranoey avatar

HEY GWARLS

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 6:07 PM By: Ranoey

Hey boo!
    My Suggestion: Catch Me.
    Why?: I believe Catch Me should be in the canon because lyrically it takes you on a journey- just like the bulk of the other songs in this already. Even though it took us a while to understand its meaning- once we all understood, the messages in it spoke loud and clear. It takes us inside one of her relationships, one that was almost corrupted in a way [little hints in the song tell us that]. Nicki really shows her ass through her verses and her songs, but not many of them has left me as puzzled as this one, a good puzzled! She also puts a lot of emotion into the singing and rapping she does in this song. i.e.: "I am at your disposal" Giving me Autobiography/Can you hear me/Save Me teas.. I also believe it should be in the canon because of its BEAT! [can we do that?... oh well im doing it anyway] You CANNOT deny Catch Me's futuristic slay fest. The beat is sometimes off in the chorus- yet it still FITS, and Nicki raps over it almost in a seductive.. trance. Very hard to explain. Every line she sung and rapped fits the beat PERFECTLY... and I LOVE it.

Nicki Minaj and her TeamMinaj will be hosting funeral services for your favorite's careers on 11.22.10. All hasbeen stans are welcome.

10. VenusAsABoy avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 6:14 PM By: VenusAsABoy

7heSAiNT wrote:
    VenusAsABoy wrote:
    7heSAiNT wrote:
    VenusAsABoy wrote:
    GLO The Ghost wrote:
    GIFSoup

the others...
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

Agreed, however.

SAINT!

i mean?
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

Well, I think CANON should encompass songs that did alot for her career aswell (ex. Monster). It might not be top notch lyrically or even production wise, but I think it carries a huge significance for her in the BIG picture. IGC was the first time ALOT of us even heard her get played on a radio, I think it marked the moment she turned from mixtape rapper to someone a little more commercially viable.

hmmm.
    i dunno—
    i could use that same argument for 'your love', and even NICKI thinks that's some of her worst work.

but i'll confer with the barbz and get a consensus.
    hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

11. vee avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 6:29 PM By: vee

also itty bitty piggy should be put in it becuase seriously i mean everybody knew that song that what made most people find out who nicki was ITTY BITTY PIGGY i believe is key to nicki's success

12. barbie bonnie avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 6:42 PM By: barbie bonnie

"Fly"

from not jus a BARBIE

13. Webkidd avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 8:26 PM By: Webkidd

yeah i agree with vee, itty bbitty piggy, and "moment 4 life" obviously because its her new single and it has now topped the charts! the nicki and drake collabo is legendary
    " A sea full of sharks and they all smell blood!"

14. VenusAsABoy avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 8:34 PM By: VenusAsABoy

annnnyway...

hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

15. VenusAsABoy avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 8:49 PM By: VenusAsABoy

ADDED: "i'm the best"

hip-hop revolutioNICKI.

16. Pepsii Minaj avatar

Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 9:31 PM By: Pepsii Minaj

YM Salute - That Verse ALONE Speaks Volume. Definitely One Of Her Best Verses Due To The Fact That The Lines "Ima Need My Badges & My Ribbons. Maybe That'll Make Up For Everything That I Wasn't Given." Solidifies The Song As A WHOLE. I DEF Think It's Worthy Of The Canon.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Jasmine Nicole - Pepsii Minaj
    "We Become Alive In The Time Of Fear."

17. JeffBarbz avatar

Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 2:24 PM By: JeffBarbz

I believe "Saxon" is a great song from Nicki.
    The beat is sick.

18. Le$haBaby avatar

Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 4:03 AM By: Le$haBaby

Beam me up scotty and itty bitty piggy are sick.

19. Coldblooded avatar

Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 8:50 AM By: Coldblooded

Nicki Minaj and Justin Beiber kiss
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7okABwJo5A

20. WhoaLando avatar

Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 1:35 PM By: WhoaLando

Some girls clearly don't know what a canon is. But anyway

BUMPED

Newsletter Signup